Sunday, May 1, 2011

Osterbrunch....aka Easter Brunch

Stefan helping Luke find....umm...most of the eggs?
Die besten Ostern ist auf die Vatheuer Haus! Which means, The best Easter is held at the Vatheuer house! My husband’s cousin’s husband (would that make him a 3rd cousin???) is German, so I had to make a go at it since they were the gracious host for Easter. They have the most incredible property for gatherings. Their house is surrounded by trees and the whole place has this magical Never Never Land feeling. The kids have so much fun walking down steep hills (super, glad there’s a doctor in the family), stomping in the creeks (change of clothes), tromping around the wooded 5 acres (have you seen my son?) and have even found a bear skull (oh my!). It’s FABULOUS!

This is our 2nd Easter at their Haus (I know that word is right!) and I have to say I hope this tradition sticks forever! Not only because their home is beautiful (and I secretly hope they'll offer to trade houses ;-), but because I think it is so important to have family traditions. I grew up in Washington with my mom's family in California and my dad's family in Illinois. I don't know if I would make it past my fingers to my toes to count how many times I spent a holiday with extended family. It makes me very sad to have my family strewn all over the country and I am so thankful to have Shaun's family local. I know Spencer and Isla are going to enjoy having cousins, Aunties, Uncles, great Aunties and the whole bit to grow up with. 

Here are some (not so great) pictures from the day. I'm noticing my photography habit has slowed down quite a bit since having two kiddos under 3 seems to occupy my time and mind every second. I forgot how much I use to love to photograph all of our family events. I was always SURE to get a group photo. As I look through old photos I realize my photo taking slowed way down after Shaun’s mom passed away. It’s sad I have missed these group shots and I know if Ann was still with us she would be the driving force alongside me. In honor of her I vow to make my best effort in getting the "Group Shot" and hopefully many more photos. I added a pic of her and Daniel that was taken right around Easter the last year she was with us in 2005, I like to think she is still with us in spirit.

Candy and Bill, and adorable Josie
Spencer on the prowl for some eggs
Jeannie, Ruby and Josie

Stefan and Luke with ALL the eggs! Haha, we forgot to put a limit on them ;-]

Uncle Jim and baby Isla

Daniel and Ann...April 26th 2005. We miss you Ann, everyday, and especially now.

No comments:

Post a Comment